Friday, 1 August 2014

Feature Friday: Twinkie Chan


This weeks Feature Friday post is a very exciting one for me personally, as Twinkie Chan is a huge inspiration in my life, and someone whose work I have followed and admired for years.

An explosion of colour, cuteness and yarn, Twinkie Chan crochets super fun food-themed wearable accessories that are definitely unique with unquestionable quality!

Launching a new licensed line called Yummy You!, you can now get her amazing products from retailers all over the world, as well as still purchasing her original handmade designs on Etsy.



I spoke to Twinkie Chan about what inspired her to set up, her favourite products and her plans for the future. 

What inspired you to think up Twinkie Chan?
In 2005, I had a day-job in publishing and was crocheting for fun and for myself at night. When I started to have too many scarves to wear myself, I decided to set up shop and sell my extras. I didn't want my day-job clients to discover that I actually spent time doing something other than work, so I needed a secret, crafty alter ego for my web shop, and that's how Twinkie Chan was born!

When did you start crocheting? 
My BFF's grandma taught us to crochet almost 30 years ago, and then I started to crochet more prolifically in '05.

What's been your favourite creation so far? 
Oh that is tough! I always like the new thing I'm working on! I guess favorites have included the pizza scarf, hamburger fingerless mitts, and my new kitty donut hair pieces!


Where does your inspiration for new products come from?
Whatever I'm eating and whatever other people are eating. Keep posting your food pics on Instagram! ;) 

What advice would you give to someone looking to start their own business?
Consider and cultivate your brand, be excellent, be unique, and approach every part of your business with the greatest attention, detail, and quality that you can.

What do you have planned for the future?
I'm working on a 2nd crochet book (and currently writing patterns to contribute to my friend's secret book project), shooting more YouTube crochet tutorials, and finding time to set up the shop section for my charity crochet project www.TissueBoxBakery.com. I'm also continuing to build my licensed/mass brand "Yummy You!" We're coming out with 2 new scarves next month, and I have my fingers crossed for more cool scarf collaborations like the one we did with Sanrio last year!


You can find Twinkie Chan here:
Website: www.twinkiechan.com
Facebook: facebook.com/twinkiechan
Twitter: twitter.com/twinkiechan

Yummy You:
Website: www.yummyyouclothing.com
Facebook: facebook.com/yummyyouclothing
Twitter:  twitter.com/iloveyummyyou


Feature Friday is about celebrating all things creative and inspiring. Want to see your favourite brand featured on the Little Miss Delicious blog? Please email details to info[at]littlemissdelicious.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...