Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Blender Adventures | Smoothie Recipes


If you follow me on Instagram, you're probably already well aware of the fact I got a blender recently. I went a little overboard when I first got it and started doing a weekly food shop just based on what I could blend. Who knew I'd find domestic bliss in something so simple?

3 months later and I'm still completely addicted to it, so I thought I'd share some of my favourite blender creations so far! Most things I make tend to be dairy free just because I'm trying to cut out milk, but since I have a habit of just throwing things together to see what works and changing it up a little each time, all recipes are completely adjustable to suit your tastes! 

Note: I cut all fruit into small pieces then freeze them in freezer bags so they keep longer, and to save adding extra ice to the recipes. You can also be extra savvy and put the whole recipe in one freezer bag to save time if you're using more than one fruit! If you'd prefer to use fresh fruit and save freezer space simply add 1/2 cup of ice instead, then more as required.


One thing I really struggled with was perfecting a fruit smoothie using fruits that are IC friendly, and I think I've finally settled on this Strawberry, Mango and Banana Smoothie

Recipe (serves 2):
  • 1 cup strawberry
  • 1 cup mango
  • 1/2 cup banana
  • 1 cup almond milk
Blend until smooth. You can use a sieve to remove the strawberry seeds, but I actually quite like that it has a little texture.


By far my favourite is my post work out Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie.

Recipe (serves 1):
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 banana (frozen)
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter

Blend until smooth. Another simple one, but also full of protein and the perfect treat to look forward to after an hour of running! If I'm feeling extra tired after a workout, I also add a little bit of honey for extra sweetness too.


A bit more indulgent, this Oreo and Banana Milkshake is not for those watching their waistlines, because it's so addictive one serving is never enough!

Recipe (serves 2):
  • 10 Oreos
  • 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
  • 2 cups praline, hazelnut and almond milk
  • 1 banana
If you're feeling extra extravagant, you can also substitute 1 cup of milk for a bottle of Frijj coffee caramel latte - trust me, you will not regret it!


And for those that prefer something with a bit of an alcoholic kick, you can also use your frozen fruit for super tasty cocktails (or an equally tasty mocktail if you don't add the alcohol!)...

Frozen Tropical Rum Cocktail
  • 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lime
  • 1/2 cup frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
  • 1/2 cup mango juice
  • 1/4 cup light rum
 Sweeten to taste if preferred.

Frozen Strawberry and Vodka Cocktail
  • 1/4 cup vodka
  • 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup ice

Sweeten to taste if preferred. Instead of adding sugar  and ice, I poured the mixture from Jubbly ice lollies into a ice tray and froze them so they'd be easier to blend than big triangle blocks as I was in a bit of a rush and didn't have time to experiment too much, but they turned out amazingly yummy.

And if you have any left over smoothie/cocktail, you can always freeze it and have homemade delicious ice pops too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...