Considering I would have been a primate candidate for Can't Cook, Won't Cook a few years ago it feels very strange to be writing my first recipe related post! I've always been a big lover of food (which is probably quite obvious from Little Miss Delicious), but it wasn't until I turned vegetarian last year and began following the IC Diet more strictly that I started actually thinking about what I was eating. By restricting what I can have, I've become a lot more aware of getting the right vitamins and general goodness from foods. Instead of eating less, I'm now just eating more of the right things and eating a much more varied diet than before - which means I'm enjoying eating a lot more, and surprisingly developing quite the love of cooking!
One of the favourite things I've made so far are stuffed bell peppers - not just because they're so quick and unbelievably simple to prepare, but they also taste amazing!
You can mix it up by easily changing the filling each time to suit whatever mood you're in, and different bell peppers have different (but equally as yummy) tastes. You can also use dairy free cheese, pesto and cream cheese to make it into a delicious vegan treat.
To serve two:
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp pesto
- Golden vegetable rice
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Olive oil
- Optional extra fillings of choice (I use one tsp of chilli and spring onion)
- Preheat the oven to a medium heat with a rack placed in the middle, and line a baking tray with tin foil.
- Cut the tops of the peppers - approximately 1" down, then remove the white inner part and seeds.
- Cook the golden vegetable rice (or plain rice and add your own veggies), and mix in a bowl with the cream cheese, pesto and any extra fillings you'd like.
- Spoon the mixture into the empty bell peppers until they're full, pressing down occassionally to make sure they're as stuffed as possible!
- Brush the outsides of the peppers with olive oil, then place the stuffed peppers as well as the tops on the baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes grate cheese on top of the stuffed peppers, then place back in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.