Tuesday, 14 June 2011

FAQs Series: How Long Does it Take?

I get various emails every day asking similar questions, so I thought I'd do a blog series in order to share what I know with you! I hope you find it helpful, and if you have a question of your own to ask, feel free to email me or ask via Twitter.

How long does it take to make one piece of jewellery?

Although not a question I get asked a lot, I feel it is one that many people tend to overlook when purchasing my designs. The production process is very long and complex, but that's the beauty of buying handmade - so much care and dedication goes into every piece I make!


I don't use moulds so every item is hand sculpted, which itself can take hours for just one piece depending on how warm the room is and whether I've made the item before. This means I tend to make big batches of one item at a time. Once I'm happy with how they look, E6000 is used to glue the wire into the clay charms, and left for at least 6 hours to harden before being put in the oven to bake. Each batch takes approximately half an hour to bake, but I also have to leave them for an hour or so afterwards to cool down and harden properly.


Next everything needs to be painted. This is my favourite part, although it's also probably the hardest! Each item requires so many coats that it can take days to finish just one little charm (including drying time), especially as I'm a huge perfectionist so will settle for nothing less than wonderful.Once I'm finally happy with how the charm looks, and all the lines and circles are perfect, the jewellery is left to glaze overnight.


But the job is still not finished! Once the glaze has dried, each necklace needs to have a chain attached etc. If it's something like an earring stud or ring back, I always glue these down prior to glazing to ensure there's no chance of the glaze weakening the glue. When the items are complete, they are placed in zip lock bags for hygiene reasons and put into the giant shelving unit on my desk, aka the tower of doom (seriously, it's huge!), and sit ready for their new owners. If it's a new design, it also needs to be photographed - but that's another post entirely!
Finally, when the item is ready to post, each piece is lovingly giftwrapped in an official Little Miss Delicious box, finished off with ribbon and placed in a branded jiffy bag ready to take to the post office and send to you!

This means one piece of jewellery can realistically take weeks to complete, and so much care goes into making the item at every stage that by the time it's ready to post, my customers receive something so special and valuable that has been made to the highest quality possible.

Please keep this in mind when wearing your Little Miss Delicious designs, and be sure to appreciate them for what they are rather than just regarding them as another piece of costume jewellery - they are high quality pieces which have been handmade with so much love and dedication, and deserve the same amount of care back in terms of wear and storage!



2 comments:

  1. You are a very talented and clever lady! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! That means a lot coming from someone so fabulous as yourself :) xo

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...