Thursday, 24 March 2011

FAQs Series: How Did You Get Into Making Jewellery?

I get various emails every day asking similar questions, so I thought I'd do a blog series in order to share what I know with you! I hope you find it helpful, and if you have a question of your own to ask, feel free to email me or ask via Twitter.

How did you get into making jewellery?

I started making jewellery when I was 13 after being unable to find quirky handmade jewellery without the huge price tag, and so purchased the materials myself. At first I made designs using beads, but then I discovered polymer clay and fell in love. I just love having the complete freedom of being able to choose exactly how I want things to look and watching a small lump of beige coloured clay turn into a pretty little cake slice or ice cream.

These cake earrings are one of the first things I made!

At first I only made things for myself and friends as a creative outlet while doing my law degree. However, people soon began asking where they could buy the jewellery and as interest grew I quickly ran out of space to store all the jewellery, so I decided to set up an Etsy shop and see if anyone else liked what I make.  The response was amazing straight away! I made my first sale within hours and haven’t looked back since!

Less than a year later I had my own website with an online store, and Little Miss Delicious has grown so much that I’m now very privileged to be doing something I love this much full time from summer onwards.

I don't have any formal training in design - everything I do is completely self taught. However, I’ve always been interested in the creative side of life, and gradually taught myself everything there is to know about making clay jewellery and fabric cuties.

I used tutorials online to learn how to do simple techniques, such as how to securely connect two pieces of clay and how best to sew little felt accessories, but mostly it was a lot of trial and error - it took 5 different styles before I even chose which smile I liked the most!



No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...